Sunday, February 12, 2012

Asterisk Sets Goals, Kicks Ass, and Takes Names

So, let’s talk about New Year’s Resolutions.

Normally I don’t buy into that stuff, it's just too silly. Making a deal with yourself that this year, you’re actually going to fix yourself, or change, or whatever? Yeah right.

You’re going to start to do it, get busy, forget, and then make the same deal with yourself the next year. Duh. Everyone knows that.

When it comes to New Years Resolutions, I usually take this stance:



But this year I figured, you know what, I’m a real adult now, it maybe wouldn’t hurt to set some goals to follow over the next 12 months. Plus Jazz was so completely bomb at accomplishing her goals that I figured I might as well...and I guess January is just as good a time as ever to start.

So here we go:
1. Read more often. You know, for fun.
2. Re-familiarize self with how to play piano.
3. Work on learning to read music properly.
4. Try harder in school (or just waste less time, because clearly we get shit done).
5. Get an internship, and volunteer more.
6. Be active you lazy bag of—uh, never mind. No, walking everywhere doesn't count, even if that's what we do.
7. Do not cut hair. We are growing it out. We don’t care how boring it is right now, cutting it won’t fix anything.
8. Have a good time. It’s our last semester of college. We deserve it.


So, checking in a month later, how are we doing?

1.  Read more.
Books I have read recently:
-True Grit
-Catcher in the Rye
-The Hundred Secret Senses
-Passage to India
-Rapture of the Deep
-To Save a Fish from Drowning *
*Okay, I’m not actually done with this one, but that’s because this thing (called my thesis) got in the way.

2. Play piano.
I actually ordered a book of Tom Lerher songs. I’m working on Poisoning Pigeons in the Park. I have part of it memorized (yeah, like muscle memory... I'll never forget it now, hahaha)! I’m so excited!

3. Read Music.
Okay, I read music like I read Spanish. I can do it, but it takes me a while. So I’m no sight reader…and somehow I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

4. Stop wasting time.
I don’t say this often, but LOL.
Some things will never chaaaaaaange!

5. Get and internship and volunteer.
Done and done!*

* That would be here: http://fhdc.org/
and here: http://www.acgilbert.org/  Yeah, I know! I volunteer for a children's museum!

6.  Be more active.
Bitchez, I signed up to take Zumba again. Only it’s not actually real Zumba because the lady isn’t affiliated with whoever owns Zumba—she just calls it that. So I guess I’m taking “exercise dance.” Whatever. It’s crazy fun, and I get to shake my booty.

7. Do not cut hair.
GOD I AM GOING CRAAAZY. I hate it this length. But it will be very pretty for graduation. 

8. Have fun. 





  
I think I've got this one under control.  


So that's that. I am undeniably proud of myself. 
~Asterisk

2 comments:

  1. Trying to figure out what's going on in the blurry picture of gold pants may have broken my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impromptu dance party featuring the robot from the Party Rock crew. (E'rry day we're shuffling. Also Daniel forgot his shirt again.)

    ReplyDelete