This is not a post about how silly, consumeristic, or gender-norm-reinforcing Valentine's Day is.
You know why?
Because I like Valentine's Day. And you can suck it.
Valentine's Day made me so incredibly depressed when I was in the closet. All those girls, with all those roses, and balloons, and giant stuffed bears, walking around, not thinking about how privileged they were to just be able to show that they're in a relationship. To be open about it. And me, watching them, envying their ease, wishing that once, just once, I could walk around with a rose. That my experience could be similar to the one I was taught to expect.
And now I'm out of the closet, and today Jack was waiting for me outside my class with a rose. And she gave it to me, and I kissed her, in the hallway, and smiled like a damned fool all the way to the bus stop.
I love Valentine's Day because it reminds me why I came out, reminds me how lucky I am to be in a position to show my affection, and because I love chocolate and roses and sex.
So happy Valentine's Day, readers. I can finally enjoy it, and I'm going to do so to the highest degree.
-- Jazz
No comments:
Post a Comment