Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm Snow Happy

So, I've got an essay to write. Which means...I am writing a blog.

It snowed last Friday. There's a lot that is inconvenient and annoying about snow, but I am in a really good mood and I will only be talking about the parts that I love about snow.

First off, I was walking home with a lovely person when the snow first started to fall. It had been horribly, awfully cold for days, and we had a long walk ahead of us, but as we left the party, slow little flakes drifted down, highlighted in the streetlights. As we walked, the air got a bit warmer from the snow and it came down a bit heavier, and we caught a bus. By the time we got off the bus not ten minutes later, everything in sight was covered in pristine powder. We walked through a forest path to get back to the apartment, and each leaf was gilded with snow.

I also love the sky when it snows; it was ten at night when we were walking around, and it should have been pitch black, but the clouds and the snow reflect light so well that it was as if it were nearly daylight, this suffused glow that made all the edges of the world softer.

And fresh snow makes people downright joyful. Not an hour after we got back to the apartment, a bunch of our friends pounded on the door, shouting "It's snowing!" And we all bundled up and had a snowball fight in the parking lot, and then got sleds and spent a couple hours racing up and down the hilly streets.

Which brings me to the next thing I love about snow: for about six hours after it snows, the roads are completely fair game. It's the only time when a person has more right to be in the middle of the street than a car does. And people are so helpful! We helped push maybe four cars up various hills that night. People who don't know each other are sledding down the same hill, sharing sleds.

It's just lovely.

- Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment