Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dye, Dye, Dye

So.

I decided in early October that I wanted to be Harley Quinn for Halloween. I got the costume, tried it on, and found that the jester hat choked me and didn't look all that good. So I decided not to wear it, and just go with my hair. Originally I thought I would just use spray cans of hair paint to make it look red and black to match the outfit.

And then I realized: Harley Quinn is blond. I don't have a job right now, so dying my hair is a real possibility. I dyed it a bit in high school, doing purple and red and whatnot, but I haven't dyed it in a few years except for some henna. So I thought, why not?

The deciding factor was that after I went blond, I could use vibrant colors on my hair like pink and blue.

So I bought the dye and my friend Bri helped me dye it. And after the allotted period of time, I washed my hair and looked in the mirror.

It did not work. My chest length hair was streaked with blond, and the roots were flame orange. Granted it looked pretty cool, but not blond. So next we tried straight up bleach from one of my other dye kits.

That didn't really work either. It got lighter, but not blond. By this point I figured that the henna might still be in my hair and making the follicles resist the bleach. But I resolved to defeat it.

By this point it was around 11:00 at night and we called it. The next day I went to Rite Aid and bought a box of dye that promised to turn even black hair blond. My awesome cool roommate Gandalf helped me this time.

My hair turned a badass shade of light orange. Around this point I figured that trying anything else would fry my hair beyond belief. So orange it was. And it totally worked for Harley Quinn. I looked great.

And now I have orange hair.

AND I LOVE IT.

I'm actually really happy it didn't turn real blond. The orange is fantastic. I haven't felt this confident in a long time. I look like one of those hot chicks who don't give a damn, and it kind of rubs off. It's fun, and when I look in the mirror it makes me smile.

I'm going pink next.

- Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment