Friday, November 19, 2010

Asterisk Buys a New Vegetable


I have begun cooking with arugula. 



I don't really understand it. 

I purchased arugula because I actually wanted spinach, but because the produce section in our local Safeway looks like something out of the Soviet Union, the spinach looked... ill. Or just really sad. 

The arugula on the other hand, looked decently fresh, so I bought a container of it, and have been experimenting. 

(By experimenting, I mean attempting to with cook it just like I would if it spinach.)

So far, I've noticed that like spinach, arugula is incessantly irritating in that when steaming it you have to put a friggin' ton of it in the pot, and then once you finish cooking it, there's like two tablespoons worth of food there. God dammit. 

On the other hand, it's pretty tasty, AND fortified with Vitamin C and potassium (and probably iron). So I can't complain too much.

Other than steaming it, I haven't done much with the arugula, and I am not really fond of it in sandwiches. But I'm gonna learn how to do some stuff with it. Maybe. 

And that's my greatest adventure of the last week! Woooooo!

Shut up. 
I'm not pathetic.

~Asterisk



No comments:

Post a Comment