Sunday, October 30, 2011

Jazz Update!

*boop beep boop beep boop boop*
(Those are action-news update sounds, by the way.)

I wanted to do a Halloween post, but I think it's a travesty to do that without pictures, and my camera was dead all weekend, so I'm just going to do a general update.


I dyed my hair purple. It was pink, but it washed out very quickly, so now it is purple. Much better.

Last weekend, I went to go see The Hold Steady with Jack and some other friends. I was sick (I've had a cold for the past two weeks), but it didn't matter because it was amazing. Seeing a bar band in a bar with a whiskey ginger in your hand is pretty much the best thing ever. And since the bar portion of the venue was raised up a bit, I got to stand right at the edge and see over everyone's heads, not get punched in the spleen, and have a perfect view of the band the entire time. Which, for someone who is a generous five feet, is an admirable feat at a concert. (Get it? Feet/feat? Haha...oh.) I even got a band t-shirt!

Jack came out as female-identified. I won't say a bunch about it, because he's posted a lot about it on his blog and has mentioned to me that he kind of wants it to just fade out, but I am so proud of him. Even if he never makes a physical change, or starts using female pronouns, it takes a lot of courage to come out and I love the woman he really is.

I randomly saw my high school algebra teacher on campus. We had a lovely conversation.

Jeopardy did our first workshop in our workshop series, which was a brainstorming session. We actually got a good amount of people to show up, especially since we couldn't get our posters up in time. I was official! And led a section of the workshop! It was very exciting.

Thursday started the costuming. I went blues dancing with Jack; he was Sherlock and I was Watson. We were driven to by Sean Connery, who I always thought was Welsh, but I was corrected. Apparently he's Scottish.

I finally watched the Shining. Not as scary as I'd thought. Later we went to a Halloween tea party, which was delightful, and had delicious food and lovely conversation, and someone dressed up as a Brony, but there were two horror movies playing the whole time and eventually I discovered that while one horror movie may be fine for me, the overflow of images from three or four causes me to overload. (Occasionally I wish we could have a widespread costume holiday that suspends social codes without the gore and horror -- like Carnival, for instance. But then again, maybe I'm a weenie.)

Yesterday I used the same dress from my Watson costume and accessorized differently to be a ghost/skeleton/nondescript person dressed in black and white. Turns out that using eyeshadow with lip balm sticks way better than using that cheap black lipstick that you can get, but I'm pretty sure the chemicals in my eye shadow are toxic, so I won't be doing it again any time soon. A bunch of us went to Rocky Horror, which was very enjoyable, and then went downtown for a while.

My favorite costume of the night: a girl in the Horseshoe was dressed up as Socially Awkward Penguin (see my last post) with a cut-out meme that said "Thinks S.A.P. would be a good costume/Has to explain all night".

And now it is Sunday, I should be doing homework.

- Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment