Sunday, October 23, 2011

Asterisk Has Personal Issues, Contradicts Herself, and Ends Her Post on a Musical Note

I remembered last minute that I had to blog tonight, had a post all made up…

…and then realized I have a problem. 

I wanted to shake it up a little bit, and go all list style like Jazz, so, I created Seven Songs I Put on Nearly Every Playlist in no particular order. Frankly, I was pretty happy with it because I have some damn fine music and I really do put these songs on nearly every playlist (if not every single one).

Here’s the problem:

When Jazz did her Top5 Fav Bands/Songs post, she posted music videos.

I can’t do that.

I would have had to make you look them up yourself, because I’m not sure how to install an MP3, and I refuse to post music videos.

Refuse to post music videos? Really?

Here’s why:
I do not want to know what my favorite artists look like.

I don’t mind concerts so much, since you’re usually pretty far away and there are weird lights, but there’s something about film that kills it for me. I can’t look at pictures, I can’t watch videos, I don’t even like album covers with the band members on them.

See, sometimes you get lucky and what you imagine is correct--Gogol Bordello is borderline terrifying, which is great! But then sometimes you’re not lucky at all. Cake’s lead singer, for example…

Somehow, seeing the people behind the music kills some of the magic for me.

I like a lot of distance from my music.
I like to imagine my own reality.
So… yeah. No videos. I’m so sorry.

That said, I can still give you my list, it’s just less interesting for everyone:

Seven Songs I Put on Nearly Every Playlist

Send Me on My Way, Rusted Root
Who Could Win a Rabbit, Animal Collective
David, Lady Danville
Sold, Dan Mangan
Wonderlust King, Gogol Bordello
Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, Jet
Last Stop: This Town, The Eels

Most of these I love because of either
-the variety of instruments used,
-the combination of certain instruments (I really like the way piano is paired with guitar in David),
-use of percussion (Animal Collective is weird, but I like them),
-or because of the memories behind them.
 All of my favorite songs trigger a different positive memory, like seeing Ice Age with my dad, warm evenings, or dancing around the kitchen with my friends.

…Except Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, which I just like to play in my car and sing/yowl to, as it makes me feel like a badass.

That said, I will contradict my no music videos rule for Last Stop: This Town, since I’ve seen The Eels in concert, I’ve already seen the video on YouTube (thanks Brad), and this post is pretty boring if I don’t provide something visual.


So there you have it! Music lists, personal issues, contradictions, and video. 

Meanwhile:
Sunday night after the longest weekend ever…
I have scraped together a piece for Girl Meets Worm.
Hopefully I will be more inspired next time.
…Although this is debatable, as I am exhausted.
BUT now you know a couple of my favorite songs.
[Ooooh, deep personal levels have been reached.]

Asterisk out, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment