Monday, September 19, 2011

Music Time!

I figure I'll make this post an easy one. Here's some of my favorite bands/songs, and why.

In no particular order:

1. The Hold Steady. I'm going to see them live in October and I'm very excited. I love The Hold Steady mostly for the lyricism. They've got stories and recurring characters and it warms the cockles of my English major heart. Plus, it's rock without the alt. No emo whines here. Just some dudes and some instruments and a bar.


2. The Kinks. Ever heard "Lola"? It's about a magical night with a transvestite. They also did "All Day and All of the Night." If you liked the movie Pirate Radio, start with the Kinks. They just feel good.


3. "The House of the Rising Sun." It's a folksong, so no one really knows who originally did it, although The Animals have the most famous version. I like the Dylan version too. Again, I'm a sucker for songs with plot lines. In earlier versions, the protagonist was a woman led to prostitution, but the lines were changed from a drunken, gambling "sweetheart" to a drunken, gambling "father" and there you go.


4. "Folding Chair," by Regina Spektor. I love her voice, I love the simplicity, and I even like the silly dolphin song interlude. Regina Spektor has some pretty solid songs if you like a little folk and a strong female vocalist. Also one of my favorite songs to sing in the shower.


5. "Anthem," Rock 'N' Roll Soldiers. Quite frankly, this song just makes me want to have sex. There's just so much energy in it. I'm not a huge fan of their other stuff, but I love this song.


That's it for now. Catch you later.

- Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment