It's six in the morning after my birthday, which I suppose means that it is no longer my birthday. However, I still count this as a birthday blog.
Growing up with divorced parents, I got used to two of every major holiday. Two Christmases, two Thanksgivings, two birthdays. Sometimes this was great, sometimes not so much. But it does color how I feel about holidays now, as an adult.
Mostly, I feel like the date the holiday happens on doesn't matter in the least. As long as it's close, as long as the spirit of the holiday, whatever it may be, is there, then it counts as the holiday. Christmas can happen just as easily on the 27th as on the 25th. Heck, it can happen in January, so long as you're still on Christmas vacation. And if the dates don't matter, if it's all somewhat arbitrary anyways, then you get free license to spread it out.
Which is the lesson I've taken into adulthood. Holidays don't come around all that often. Why restrict it to one day? Celebrate Christmas three times, once with each of your families, then another time with friends. Have a birthday week. Enjoy the break from the ho-hum of everyday life. Make up a holiday, and have it involve wearing funny hats.
I had cupcakes at midnight on my birthday, then went to sleep, woke up, and it was still my birthday. Best sensation ever. I went shopping, went to a kick-ass concert, and watched The Runaways (which will be the topic of a later blog). This weekend, I'm going to another bunch of concerts with my sister for my birthday. Then I'm taking a trip back home with her to celebrate my birthday again. There will be more cake. All in all, my birthday is going to last around five days.
Which, I am sure I do not have to remind you, is awesome.
I suppose what I am trying to say is that you shouldn't restrict the happiness that (hopefully) comes with a fun holiday to just that day. Sometimes, life is hard. We should be able to cheat a little, and let the revelry leak out into the adjacent squares on the calendar.
- Jazz
...Caaaaaake...
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday again!
Thanks! Glad you could come!
ReplyDelete