The other day on Tumblr, I found something that sparked a thought*:
*Oh no, you say. Especially considering how this was way too early to be thinking.
I usually ignore notes that people post, but this one said something along the lines of
“fuck people who eat their cupcakes with a fork.”
And I found that rather funny—like seriously, what a silly thing to say. Who cares?
But then I thought about it a little more.
Wouldn’t it be interesting if all the prejudices were based on the weird habits of other people instead of physical differences?
Like people who eat their cupcakes with a fork would have a lower station in life because, face it, that’s weird*.
*According to that random person on tumblr.
-Weirder than wanting to be able to marry a person you’re in love with, (even if they’re the same gender as you).
-Weirder than having a different skin color.
-Weirder than being a different religion than somebody else.
-Weirder than being poor.
-Weirder than being born in a different country.
-You get the point…
Because you can chose to eat your cupcake with your hands instead of a fork (that’s how they were made to be eaten—otherwise you’d just have cake).
Whereas all the things people actually are jerks about are things you can’t chose.
So here I was, thinking my idea was super brilliant, judging people based on actual personal choices—especially arbitrary ones like this—that they can change, instead of those that aren’t changeable, when I realized something else:
I eat cupcakes with a fork. Whoops.
That, and I can’t change the way things are—especially not with ideas I’ve conceived at eight o’clock in the morning.
Good luck, world!
~Asterisk

I love this. And I eat cupcakes with my hands, you freak.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Jazz